Salmon Salad Nicoise
With creamy potatoes, tender salmon, jammy eggs and crispy vegetables, this meal comforts the soul. I slow roast the salmon to ensure that it is warmed through but never overdone. Yellow madras curry really drives the comfort home.
• 1 pound multicolored or red baby potatoes
• 8 ounce trimmed haricots verts (French green beans)
• 10 young carrots, well-washed, peeled and halved
• 4 large eggs
• 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 1 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallot (from 1 medium shallot)
• 1⁄2 teaspoon honey
• 2 tablespoons of capers, drained
• 1 pound skin-on salmon fillet
• 1 pound mixed lettuces (such as frisée, curly endive and/or green leaf lettuce), torn (about
9cups) (from 2 heads lettuce)
• 8 anchovy fillets
• 1⁄3 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
• ***For a more earthy and complex dressing, tone back the lemon zest and add 1/2
teaspoon yellow curry powder to the dressing.
1. Preheat oven to 275°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high. Add potatoes;
cook, until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool.
2. Get the water boiling again and then add green beans and carrots; cook until tender-crisp,
about 3 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer green beans to a bowl filled with
ice water, reserving boiling water in pot.
3. Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower eggs into boiling water and boil for EXACTLY 8
minutes then tansfer eggs to ice water to cool.
4. Whisk together mustard, lemon zest, and 1/2 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper in a
medium bowl. While whisking, gradually add 6 tablespoons of the oil, continuing to
whisk until emulsified. Measure 2 tablespoons mixture into a separate small bowl for
spreading on salmon, and set aside. Mash anchovy filets and chopped up capers and toss
in bowl with oil mixture and whisk in lemon juice, shallot, and honey into remaining
mustard mixture in medium bowl until combined; set dressing aside.
5. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil evenly onto a baking sheet. Place salmon, skin side
down, on oiled baking sheet, and sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt
and pepper. Spread reserved 2 tablespoons mustard mixture evenly over salmon. Bake in
preheated oven until just cooked through. This will take between 15 and 24 minutes.
The filet should flake all the way through but still be moist. Don’t worry, the low temp of
the oven will give you a big window for tenderness.
6. While the salmon cooks, finish the above dressing and also halve your potatoes.
7. Toss together lettuces and 3 tablespoons of the mustard-lemon juice dressing in a large
bowl until lightly coated. Arrange on a platter, or divide evenly among 4 plates. Flake
salmon into large pieces, and arrange evenly on lettuces. Top evenly with potatoes, green
beans, eggs, and olives. Drape anchovy fillets evenly over salmon and vegetables. Drizzle
evenly with remaining dressing, scatter with parsley, and serve.